The Walter Sisulu University Foundation is the resource mobilisation arm of the Walter Sisulu University, charged with securing support for the general and developmental institutional needs. The Foundation also advises the University on channeling of donor funds and affords the donors the benefit of tax exemption for their contributions. In the University context, the Foundation’s role is to access resources for the future development and the sustainable advancement of the Walter Sisulu University.
Board of Trustees: Mr Sango Ntsaluba (Chairman), Ms Nomfanelo Magwentshu (Deputy Chairman), Prof Lourens van Staden, Prof Somadoda Fikeni, Prof Nomfundo Luswazi, Mr Ndabeni Bagosi, Mr Donovan (Donny) Nadison, Mr Sebastian Jozi, Adv Dumisa Ntsebeza. Sisulu Family Liaison: Mr Mlungisi (Lungi) Sisulu. Walter Sisulu University Chancellor: Dr Brigalia Bam.
- To be a vibrant engine in the institutional advancement of Walter Sisulu University
- To create and retain formidable partnerships for the betterment of Walter Sisulu University, the community in the region and Republic of South Africa
- Create the broadest possible awareness of the legacy of the patron of the institution, the strategic role, initiatives and benchmarks of Walter Sisulu University and the Foundation
- Broaden and further develop the network of the University and the Foundation and solicit support, in cash and in kind, from governments, fraternities, institutions, foundations, trusts and individuals worldwide.
- Create and further develop attractive and contemporary “vehicles and tools” for ongoing communication and interaction with partners, across the spectrum of communities from the global village
- Project the healthy, positive and upbeat image of Walter Sisulu University locally and internationally
- Promote the uniqueness of the brand values of WSU and the ethos of the University and the Foundation
- Position Walter Sisulu University as a leader of professional excellence, societal advancement, environment preservation and humane development, in line with national priorities and global trends.
Dr Siyanda Makaula
An alumnus of the Walter Sisulu University, Dr Siyanda Makaula earned his masters degree and a doctorate from the University of Cape Town in 2006, having earned his undergraduate science and honours degrees at Walter Sisulu University in the late 1990s.
As a former academic at Wits University and a senior research manager at the Council on Higher Education, Dr Makaula has extensive knowledge and understanding of the higher educations sector. His copious achievements are formidable. To mention only a few, Siyanda was the recipient of the Carnegie Large Research Grant, the National Research Foundation Scholarship and the Guy Elliot Research Fellowship, amongst others. Other achievements include the DST/NRF Innovation Post Doctoral Fellowship at Wits University in 2011, being named best young investigator at the AstraZeneca Medical Research Day in 2005 as well as taking the best investigators award at the XVIII World Congress of International Society for Heart Research in 2004.
Today Siyanda is the executive director the Walter Sisulu University Foundation. His key responsibilities include fundraising and general resource mobilisation, implementing the Foundation’s strategic plan, systems and processes development, managing its human resources, liaison and partnerships, coordination of events and activities, financial management, project management and corporate governance.